Taking care of your emotional, physical, and social well-being is crucial at every stage of life. Studies have estimated that plenty of people are dealing with mental health struggles as life is very hectic and stressful, and unexpected events and unwanted life situations can happen. Still, many have barriers when it comes to accessing psychiatry services due to their cost, the stigma around it, and availability in their area. However, with the advancement of technology, teletherapy, as well as telemedicine, continue to expand and grow in popularity.
They provide both a safe, discreet, and convenient way of seeking mental health services from wherever you are in the world. If you are considering contacting a psychiatrist but don’t know where to start searching, then this article is for you. After extensive and thorough research and testing the major online providers, we present you with some of the best online platforms where you can access an online psychiatrist that is right for you.
Top 3 Online Psychiatrist Services For Personal Therapy Sessions in 2022
- Talkspace – Best Online Psychiatrist For Teletherapy & Psychiatry Services
- BetterHelp – Professional Psychiatrist For Affordable Therapy & Counseling Sessions
- LiveHealth Online – Recommended For Fast Online Psychiatry Appointment
Here are the detailed reviews of our top picks:
#1. Talkspace – Best Online Psychiatrist For Teletherapy & Psychiatry Services
If you have been searching about online therapy, you have probably heard about TalkSpace. Accessing online therapy for affordable prices and scheduling an appointment at a time that is the most convenient for you are among the benefits online therapy platforms like Talkspace provide. Talkspace was established in 2012 and since then has been successfully offering online therapy for individuals and couples, along with psychiatric services for consultations or medication management.
- You can access psychiatrists or nurse practitioners without a referral from your primary care physician
- Once you are matched, you get personalized treatment from an online licensed psychiatric prescriber
- If you aren’t satisfied with how your treatment progresses, you can switch psychiatrists at any time without disrupting your treatment
- The sessions are in the form of online live video sessions
- The platform is accessible on the web and on both IOS and Android devices
- All you need for an online psychiatry session on Talkspace is a stable WiFi connection
- You will be able to get the medications from your local pharmacy
- if you have a mail order delivery through your insurance, you can also receive them via delivery.
How it Works
In order to find the right psychiatrist on Talkspace, you will be required to complete a brief assessment that can take you a couple of minutes to finish. Once that is settled, the platform will then match you with a licensed psychiatrist that can help you with a variety of mental health conditions such as anxiety, depression, PTSD, and more. After you are connected with a prescriber that fits your needs, you can proceed to schedule a live online psychiatry session and begin your treatment. Talkspace psychiatrists are licensed and experienced, and they have undergone a screening process and evaluation to determine if their performance meets the standards of quality.
Online Psychiatrist Services Details
What is excellent about Talkspace psychiatry is that its clients get personalized treatment from a licensed prescriber that has been trained and vetted in mental health care. Such a board-certified psychiatrist can diagnose mental illnesses and conditions, prescribe needed medications as well as to conduct therapy sessions. Talkspace values privacy and convenience, so when looking for emotional support and treatment online, you needn’t worry about your information getting leaked or traveling and waiting to schedule an appointment. This is because you can do that any time from the comfort of your own home.
The cost of the services on Talkspace can vary depending on the mental health specialty that you require. With that being said, the initial assessment costs more than the follow-up appointments as, during it, the psychiatrist performs mental health evaluation and makes a treatment plan. The initial session costs $249, and the follow-up appointments come at a price of $125.
- Easy to use platform that matches you with a psychiatrist that suits your needs
- Talkspace allows you to schedule sessions directly with your psychiatrist
- You get specialized treatment from a licensed, experienced and screened professional
- Accepts most insurance plans and health plan providers
- The medications will be available in the local pharmacy or delivered
- Only video consultations are available
=> Click here to visit the official website of TalkSpace
#2. BetterHelp – Professional Psychiatrist For Affordable Therapy & Counseling Sessions
BetterHelp is one of the largest online therapy platforms that is on the mission to make professional therapy both affordable and easily accessible for everyone. The platform offers counseling services through several communication methods, meaning that you can choose which method of communication with a therapist is the most comfortable for you. The team behind BetterHelp is driven to help people live better and happier lives by providing them with needed emotional support and guidance.
- The platform connects clients with over 22,000 counselors and therapists
- All of them are licensed, accredited, and with professional experience
- The therapists go through an evaluation to check if they meet the company’s standards to provide mental health care
- During the session, you can communicate via messaging, chat, phone, or video
- BetterHelp allows you to contact your therapist anytime you need
- It offers therapy for individuals, couples, and teens
- The counselors specialize in different styles of counseling, and they cover a wide range of specialties
- The platform is safe, secure as well as easy to use, and in compliance with HIPAA law
- On BetterHelp, you have an option to stay anonymous
- You can apply for financial aid, and if you qualify, you will secure a lower weekly rate
- Competitive pricing rates for all clients
- There are no long-term contracts, and you can cancel the subscription plan at any time
How it Works
BetterHelp provides a quick and easy sign-up process on which you get guidance every step of the way. You will be asked to answer questions about yourself, what you look for in a therapist, and what are your needs and preferences regarding online therapy. Based on the responses you give, the platform will then match you with a suitable therapist. Furthermore, you can identify if you have any preferences such as gender, age, religion, or others you look for in a therapist. After you complete the sign-up process, you will be redirected to check the payment plans and select the one that works for you. You will need to pay for four weeks and schedule your first session at a time that works for you and your therapist.
The price for online therapy on BetterHelp ranges from $60 to $90 per week. With that being said, you will be billed every four weeks, which is something to be mindful of. The price can also depend on personal therapy preferences, your location, and therapy availability. If you get financial aid, you will get a lower weekly rate, as low as 40% off the normal rate. It is essential to mention that the financial aid expires, so you will need to reapply after three months of therapy. To apply, you will be asked questions about your monthly income, employment, whether you have children, are in the military, etc.
- Affordable counseling sessions using different communication methods
- Provides an extensive network of therapists and licensed professionals
- You can contact your therapist anytime you need, and from anywhere you are
- People for which online therapy is not affordable can apply for financial aid
- The platform is simple to use, and it values security and privacy
- BetterHelp doesn’t accept insurance plans
#3. LiveHealth Online – Recommended For Fast Online Psychiatry Appointment
LiveHealth Online is a telemedicine provider for people in need of medical, allergy, psychological, and psychiatry support. As people that need medication management need to contact their psychiatrist on a regular basis, opting for an online treatment that is affordable, flexible, safe, and secure can be very convenient, which is what LiveHealth Online also provides. The platform has a wide range of board-certified psychiatrists that are trained to perform online visits and who are available day, night, and on the weekends. On LiveHealth Online, you can request help for different mental health conditions, including anxiety, stress, depression, panic attacks, bipolar disorder, PTSD, OCD, medical concerns, and others.
- You can get an expert advice or treatment plan from a certified psychiatrist
- The online psychiatrists cover a wide range of mental health conditions
- The certified psychiatrist can prescribe medications for treatment if needed
- You can sign up on LiveHealth Online easily for free
- All doctors, therapists, and psychiatrists are trained to perform online visits and sessions
- You can choose a psychiatrist based on your needs
- You can access LiveHealth online through a smartphone, computer, or tablet
- It is required to be at least 18 years old to use psychiatric services on LiveHealth
- You can make an appointment at a time that fits your schedule
- LiveHealth Online has a mobile app compatible with IOS and Android devices
- The platform is available 24/7 to help you matched with a suitable psychiatrist
- LiveHealth Online is able to accept your insurance plan
How it Works
In order to get an appointment with a psychiatrist on LiveHealth online, you will need to sign up and then log in using your computer, smartphone, or tablet. To sign up, you will need to fill out a form by entering some personal information, and you will also be asked whether you have health insurance. What is great about this platform is that on LiveHealth Online, you can review the doctor’s profile and qualifications and select the one that fits your needs the most. Then, you can proceed to schedule an appointment, but you might have to wait up to 14 days to schedule it. The psychiatrist can give you advice, make a treatment plan and manage medications.
What is especially great about LiveHealth Online is that the platform is very open about its pricing. On the website, you can view which insurance plans the platform accepts and how much the psychiatric appointments cost. The initial evaluation appointment on LiveHealth Online costs $175, as the psychiatrist will perform a mental health evaluation and come up with a suitable treatment plan and prescribe medications if they are needed. For the follow-up appointments on this platform, you will be charged $75 for each of them.
- Provides a range of certified and experienced psychiatrists
- The platform is available 24/7 and is very user-friendly
- LiveHealth Online accepts most insurance plans and provides affordable prices
- There are no subscription fees and you are not locked into a contract
- The service is not intended to provide assistance in life-threatening conditions
How We Have Selected The Best Online Psychologist:
There are plenty of psychiatric services that you can find online, but not all of them provide equal quality services, a wide range of board-certified psychiatrists, affordable prices, and platforms that are user-friendly. For that reason, in order to make a more informed selection, we have conducted thorough research and evaluated the most popular platforms to check if they meet the requirements.
We have selected online psychiatric services that are reliable and well-reputed, providing a broad range of certified mental health professionals who can give the clients advice, can diagnose their condition, and prescribe a mental health treatment and medications that will help them overcome mental health problems. Moreover, we looked for services that offer convenience, flexible appointment schedules, implement security measures to protect the client’s information, adhere to confidentiality, and provide reasonable prices. Factors to Take Into Consideration When Looking for an Online Psychiatric Services
Whether the psychiatry services will work for you depends on a variety of factors. Since online therapy services have become more popular as they provide convenience and a comfortable experience, there are plenty of options you can find online. If you are wondering which online service to go for, there are some factors worth considering which can help you make the right decision.
Let’s take a look at some key factors worth considering:
A general advantage that online psychiatry has over traditional appointments is that it saves you time and effort of traveling to the office, especially if you live in remote areas. With that being said, we suggest looking for online psychiatric services that offer access to a wide variety of mental health care professionals to be able to find one you are most comfortable with.
It is known that professional psychiatrists need to be licensed to be able to provide diagnoses and prescriptions. Therefore, it is significant to make sure that the psychiatrist you are connected with is certified and licensed to work in your state as well as trained and with a suitable level of education to provide psychiatric services.
Variety of Specialties
Many people live with different mental conditions that can affect their daily lives. With that being said, we suggest looking for online platforms that work with psychiatrists that specialize in providing treatments for different mental health conditions.
Online psychiatry services are mainly more affordable than face-to-face appointments in the office, which is one of the reasons many people prefer this type of session. However, the pricing rates vary from one platform to another. Some offer subscription plans, while others are based on payments pay visits, so we suggest making a selection based on your preferences.
Licensed psychiatrists adhere to national laws regarding the privacy and confidentiality of their client’s data and clinical information. For that reason, it is vital to look for psychiatric services that are obliged to follow HIPPA regulations in order to protect your data. However, it is also significant to be mindful that for the psychiatrist to be able to prescribe you medications, it is necessary to provide your data, which is not the case with online counseling for which there are no prescriptions.
FAQs Regarding Psychotherapy & Psychiatrists Online:
How does online psychiatry exactly work?
Online psychiatry works in a similar way to online therapy. However, besides communicating with the psychiatrist, they will be able to diagnose mental health conditions and prescribe you mental health medications if needed, which is not the case with online therapy.
After you select an online platform, you will need to sign up and enter suitable information or complete a questionnaire. Then, based on the responses you have provided, the platform will match you with licensed professionals to choose from based on your needs and preferences.
You can then set up an initial appointment and follow-ups appointments at a time which works for you and from the comfort of your own home. Most of the online psychiatry platforms are easily accessible on the web as well as on mobile apps compatible with all devices.
What conditions can psychiatrists help you with?
The services can vary from one online platform to another. Having said that, generally, the psychiatrist can treat a wide variety of mental health conditions. Such specialties include anxiety and panic attack disorders, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, eating disorders, bipolar disorders, grief and loss, substance abuse and disorder, and many more. During your first appointment, you will have an initial consultation and evaluation performed by the psychiatrist.
While you have your first appointment, it is vital to provide honest answers so that the licensed professional can give you treatment that can help you overcome your mental health struggles. The appointments usually take from 45 minutes up to an hour, but since they are online, you can set appointments according to your plans and needs. The first appointment gives the professional an overview of your well-being and helps them find an adequate talk therapy and approach to help you achieve your mental health goals. For that reason, such appointments are often costlier than follow-ups.
Can an online psychiatrist prescribe you controlled substances?
Generally, online psychiatrists are not allowed to prescribe you controlled substances as they require in-person visits and frequent monitoring. However, there are exceptions to these rules in emergency situations. Also, this was possible during the pandemic as many people turned to online appointments, but still, some of the providers don’t prescribe such controlled substances online.
With that being said, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has stated that psychiatrists who have met the clients in person before they moved online can prescribe such substances, but that is not the case with online platforms as the whole treatment process is implemented online.
Is this type of online psychiatry services effective?
Studies have shown that online psychiatry can be very effective, and it is an excellent alternative to traditional in-person sessions. Many people also prefer telepsychiatry to face-to-face appointments because it makes them more comfortable as the appointments can be accessed from their homes at any time of the day that fits their daily schedule. Many people worry that virtually they won’t be able to establish a connection with their psychiatrist and get the treatment they need.
However, evidence shows that online psychiatry can be very effective for the treatment of different mental health problems, and they are even very comparable with the conventional type regarding patient satisfaction. By reading hundreds of reviews, we noticed many positive comments about online psychiatric platforms and the services they provide. The platforms that we have reviewed in our article are considered some of the best online psychiatry services that you can find online, which can be determined by the number of positive comments about the services they provide.
Concluding – Online Psychiatric Consultations For Instant Mental Health Psychiatry Treatments 
Nowadays, online psychiatry has become more prevalent as it is a convenient and easily accessible option for receiving the treatment that you need. You don’t have to travel to distant areas to have an appointment or tighten your schedule, and on top of that, online services are more affordable than in-person appointments. However, since taking care of your mental health is of utmost importance, it is necessary to look for a reliable platform and a licensed psychiatrist that will provide you with the advice you need regarding mental health struggles, plan suitable treatment, and prescribe psychiatric medication that will assist you to reach your goal. Our top 3 online psychiatrist services are highly-rated by numerous satisfied clients and are recognized for being reliable and providing affordable and flexible therapy services.