One of the most popular activities in today’s society is traveling. But, you might be out thousands of dollars if something happens to keep you from going, and your trip’s expenses must be paid in advance, and the trips are non-refundable.
So, if you want to stay safe while traveling, then travel insurance is one valuable tool that will help you stay safe. Travel insurance was created to protect travelers from theft, but it has since evolved to cover the price of medical treatments, canceling flights, along many other unforeseen expenses.
So, when planning a vacation, or any kind of trip outside your country, you must understand how travel insurance works and how different forms of coverage operate in an emergency. If you want to know more details about the best online insurance companies, this article is for you. We’ve compiled a list of travel insurance providers and comparison websites to assist you in your search for the best deal.
Top 5 Best Travel Insurance Companies Of 2021:
We have compared many sites, and we have concluded that the above-mentioned travel insurance online sites are providing the best services. So let us go on and review them in more detail and provide you with more information.
- Travel Insurance – Best Overall Travel Made Easy
- RoamRight – Top-Rated & Best Customer Services
- Travelex – Best For Families With Children
- Generali Global Assistance – Best For Emergency Support Services
- World Nomads – Best For Adventure Sports Coverage
#1. Travel Insurance – Best Overall Travel Made Easy
TravelInsurance’s mission is to make it as simple as possible for you to compare and buy travel insurance from premium providers online. DigiVentures Holdings, LLC owns this company, and they are a licensed agency that is working with the largest travel insurers in the world. So, their user-friendly website provides you with the option to compare and purchase travel insurance plans from many different insurers.
Moreover, they provide you with an excellent, so-called ‘Learning Center.’ If you are not familiar with the insurance plans or if you have any other insurance-related questions, you can easily find the answers with just one button click.
Also, all of the insurance prices are regulated by the states. If you try to find a lower price on the internet, you won’t find one since they are all the same. Their website also provides you with an ‘add to compare’ button. So, you can select more plans and compare them side by side to see the benefits from the insurance and so on.
Of course, one of the best highlights is their easy to compare and purchase insurance information form updated on their official website. All you need to do is go to travelisnurance.com and fill out the simple form with the details of your total trip cost, main destination, trip dates, number of travelers, travelers’ ages, and citizenship.
They have one of the best security systems to protect your information. So, you don’t have to be stressed out while filling out the form since they are using high-grade Verisign 256-bit encryption. Once you decide which insurance is right for you and provides you with the best benefits, you can go on and purchase it.
Another great thing is that the company provides you with insurers who offer a single person and group insurance. Meaning, if you are traveling with a group of more than 10 people, you can easily select one of the insurance plans they will offer you. Doing this saves the time and hassle of taking out separate policies.
- You can easily compare benefits and prices
- You can get plans from top-rated companies
- They have more than 75,000 customer reviews
- They provide complete security
- They provide quick confirmation of coverage through email
- They are a member company of The U.S. Travel Insurance Association
- No significant cons are found
- No rental car coverage available.
As we have mentioned, they have more than 75,000 customer reviews. Their customer is grateful for the overall service. They are pleased with the variety of insurance options available and recommend this web business to anyone who requires travel insurance.
#2. RoamRight – Top-Rated & Best Customer Services
RoamRight was launched back in 2012 by the famous Arch Insurance Company. Arch Insurance Company is one of the most famous insurance companies among many travelers. Their main goal is fast selling and administering policies to you and providing you with the best customer service.
RoamRight has superior account management, meaning they can always provide you with exceptional responsive service. They have the best customer service with many years of experience that offers answers to all of your insurance-related questions. Also, their team can manage your account. They can set it up for you, and also they can help you when it comes to getting the claim.
Arch RoamRight is one of the companies that makes sure you get a reasonable price when looking for travel insurance. Compared to many other companies, they provide you with more value for your money. You also get a mobile app, access to online claims and emergency alerts.
One of the best highlights is their user-friendly mobile app. You can easily download the app on your Android or iOS mobile phone. Now, you can go on and purchase one of the best travel insurances on the go.
Moreover, they provide the following insurance plans:
- Pro Travel Insurance plan – includes up to $25,000 in case of Emergency Accident and Sickness Medical Expense coverage and $250,000 for Emergency Evacuation coverage
- Pro Plus Travel Insurance plan – includes up to $50,000 in Emergency Accident and Sickness Medical Expense coverage, up to $500,000 for Emergency Evacuation coverage. This plan is designed for primary medical coverage
- Multi-Trip Annual plan includes emergency accident and sickness medical expense coverage up to $25,000, as well as trip cancellation coverage up to four trip cost levels of $2500, $5000, $7500, and $10,000
- Travel Medical’s travel insurance plan includes Accident & Sickness Medical Expense coverage of $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, or $500,000, as well as Emergency Evacuation coverage of up to $100,000
- Auto Rental Insurance Plus, travel insurance plan, covers Rental Collision for up to $35,000 that has no deductible, as well as $500 in baggage coverage
Another great thing about this platform is the fast processing of claims. Once you submit your claim, you will receive a message on your mobile phone
- They have top-notch customer ratings
- They provide the best customer service 24/7
- Fast claims processing
- You get security alerts directly sent to your cell phone.
- They provide trip cancellation coverage
- Mobile app available for both Android and iOS
- They provide reasonable prices
- They use impressive technology
- You can easily upload the required documentation
- No major cons
Many users felt at ease during their vacation because of the complete security and the prompt customer care representative’s help. RoamRight has exceptional customer care representatives who can answer all questions, and also, they can postpone your vacation if there is an emergency. Also, even though many users never used their insurance, they are grateful for the peace of mind they got while traveling.
#3. Travelex – Best For Families With Children
Travelex Insurance Services, based in Omaha, Nebraska, was created in 1996 when the Travelex Group purchased Mutual of Omaha Companies’ travel insurance distribution services. The objective of Travelex is to be a worldwide known travel insurance company. Travelex quickly rose to become one of the top three travel insurance carriers in the U. S.
Travelex Insurance Services expanded its global reach in 2016 when it joined the Cover-More Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Zurich Insurance Group. Cover-More is the leading provider of travel insurance, medical help, and employee support in Australia and Europe, China, New Zealand, Singapore, etc.
Moreover, they have partnered up with Berkshire Hathaway Insurance, which provides commercial property, healthcare, marine, professional lines, and executive lines insurance. Also, they have partnered up with Zurich Insurance Group that also provides the same great insurance types.
One of the best features of this company is its optimism. Their team is highly dedicated to providing you and all of their customers with all information you need when it comes to requesting an insurance plan or anything that has to do with the overall insurance questions. Their mission is to make things better and make a positive difference for you to get the best service possible.
Travelex Insurance provides you with the option to customize your coverage. They provide the following insurance plans:
- Travel Select – it can cover up to $50,000 Emergency Medical Expenses and provide protection for children 17 and under. You can always enjoy primary coverage of your medical bills with no deductibles included.
- Travel Basic – it can cover up to $15,000 Emergency Medical Expenses. You can enjoy primary coverage with no deductibles. Also, it can cover up to $10,000 trip cancellation or interruption.
- Travel America – it can cover up to %50,000 Emergency Medical Expenses, and also it can cover car rental collisions and roadside assistance. Up to 8 travelers can receive shared benefits.
Upgrades – You can always upgrade your plan with the following features – Adventure Sports Coverage, AD&D Common Carrier, Cancel the trip for any reason, Car Rental Collision, Additional Medical Coverage by $505,000.
- You can easily file a claim on their official website
- User-friendly website
- They provide tips on health, safety, travel, and family travel
- Great customer care support
- They offer Emergency Assistance
- Cancel for any reason upgrade available
- They provide a highly developed phone app for both Android and iOS
- Not so many customer reviews as the previous two companies
- No other significant cons were found
The customers are delighted by the great app this online platform has developed. The users said they received notifications with Covidrelated restrictions, terrorist incidents, transportation disruption. They could also use the travel advisor, which supplied them with helpful information such as where to find the nearest ATMs and so on
#4. Generali Global Assistance – Best For Emergency Support Services
Generali Global Assistance provides the essential support to ensure a pleasant and safe journey. Their travel security programs are tailored to fit the diverse needs of today’s travelers and to save you time on the road.
Generali’s Travel insurance policies are meant to protect your vacation investment against unforeseen circumstances that may force you to cancel or stop your trip, resulting in the loss of your prepaid, non-refundable trip fees. Also, if you are not sure which plan is the right one for you, you can take advantage of their official website to compare them in full detail.
We need to mention that they have the best customer care team that has won many awards in Bethesda and San Diego. They are always ready to provide you with all of the information you need regarding their insurance plans and any travel questions that you might have.
What’s more, you can also get emergency medical evacuation coverage if you have a serious medical condition that requires you to seek medical attention outside of your travel area.
Generali is providing some of the best travel insurance plans in the U.S.; let us go on and see what they have to offer in more detail.
- Premium – It can cover up to $250,000 per person for medical and dental care and $1,000,000 per person for Telemedicine, Emergency Assistance, and Transportation. It has the highest benefit limits available to help protect your travel investment, and you may travel the world with more peace of mind thanks to enhanced coverage for emergencies.
- Preferred – It can cover up to $150,000 for Medical & Dental Expenses and Emergency Assistance & Transportation – $500,000 per person. It has larger coverage limits than the Standard Plan, as well as coverages for delays, loss, theft, or damage to Sports Gear, among many other things.
- Standard – It can cover up to $50,000 per person for medical and dental care and $250,000 per person for emergency assistance and transportation. The Standard travel insurance plan is the most cost-effective alternative for any journey. It’s good for domestic and international travel, and it comes with the same travel aid features as the more expensive plans.
- They provide 24/7 customer care assistance available anywhere in the world
- They provide a free look period refund policy
- They have 208 countries covered by correspondents
- They provide top-notch medical evacuation benefits
- They have won many awards for being one of the best insurance providers
- No cons
Many positive reviews show how much the General’s team cares about their users. Many customers are delighted by the customer care representatives who made sure they felt secure when traveling. Overall, they recommend this online travel insurance company to anyone who is a traveling addict and would like to have great travel security.
#5. World Nomads – Best For Adventure Sports Coverage
World Nomads’s team is obsessed with travel, and they are dedicated to helping you pursue your interests and gain a better grasp of the world. They have been defending, connecting, and motivating independent travelers like you since 2002. Also, they are a group of citizens, storytellers, customer advocates who want to help you get better security while traveling.
They offer you flexible and straightforward travel insurance plans and many safety tips to help you while traveling. All you have to do is fill out their simple form online and purchase the right insurance policy that will keep you safe while traveling.
Moreover, they have made their travel guides downloadable. Now, you can easily download them on your mobile phone or any other electronic device.
One of the best highlights that we must mention is the micro-donation that you are providing to different global nonprofits and charities. Also, you help support many sustainable projects. There are more than 1,000,000 travelers who donated, and more than $3,400,000 were raised to change many lives.
They offer a variety of plans that can help you out in any situation. But, you need to read the terms and conditions, since they provide different terms and conditions for different countries in the world.
However, their plans are divided into four sections.
- Trip Protection – you can protect your planned trip from unexpected cancellations
- Emergency Medical Insurance – all medical and dental expenses are covered up to
- Emergency Evacuation – They can get you to the nearest hospital or to your home in no time
- Protect Your Gear – All of your damaged bags tech or gear will be covered
You need to keep in mind that they all have different terms and conditions. So before purchasing, make sure you double-check them to see their benefits and the total trip costs.
- You can donate to charities
- They raised more than $3,000,000 to charities and funded more than 150 development projects
- They provide reasonable prices for purchasing their plans
- They offer many plan options
- You can easily download all of their helpful tools
- They do not provide a mobile app
- No other major cons were found
Their users are completely satisfied with the choice of plans. Also, they are thankful to the company that is always donating money to charities. Many independent travelers stated that this is one of the best sites for everyone who would like to secure their trips and donate to charities.
How We Chose The Best Travel Insurances
One of the essential things that we have gone through is the benefits that each insurance can provide you with. We have gone through many sites policies to determine the actual levels of coverage. The benefits we took into consideration are the following:
- Vacation Cancellation: This insurance will reimburse you for the amount spent due to canceling your trip because of different reasons, such as a family death, medical crisis, or an accident at home.
- Accident Insurance: If you or a loved one is wounded or dies while on vacation (similar to life insurance)
- Medical Treatment: You will be covered for medical care and transportation if you are involved in an accident
- Personal Possessions: This sort of insurance protects your stuff, such as your camera, laptop, mobile phone, or jewelry. Also, it can cover missing money or passports.
We have gone over thousands of customers’ comments to get to the top 5 insurance companies. We have considered all of the good comments and the websites that have 4 and higher star ratings. The higher the ratings, the better the benefits and customer care.
Types Of Policies
There are different types of travel insurance policies. All of the online companies provide different insurance plans and policies to satisfy your needs.
- Policies that only allow for one trip – Single trip insurance, as the name indicates, can cover you for only one trip and typically only for a few days.
- Multi-Trip Policies for the year – As the name indicates, you can be covered for a few trips. The number of trips depends on the terms and conditions. So make sure you read them twice before you agree to anything.
- Family Policies – Adults are normally insured while traveling alone. But if you plan on taking your children with you, then the family policy is a great option for you to purchase. Also, you need to keep in mind that many family policies can offer extra cover compared to some of the individual policies on the market.
- Worldwide Travel Policy – If you plan to travel to Europe, you need to purchase the worldwide travel policy. You can get many benefits such as covered medical expenses, trip cancelation express, etc.
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance (Adventure sports) – if you are planning on spending the weekend on snowboarding or any other winter sport, you might want to consider this type of policy since it can cover your expensive sports gear.
While each travel insurance policy is unique, most basic plans should include coverage for the following:
- Medical bills and repatriation charges if you are ill or wounded while you are on vacation – However, make sure to inform your insurer about any pre-existing health conditions.
- If your luggage, passport, or money has been stolen or lost
- If you need to cancel a trip because of different circumstances beyond your control
- If your departure is delayed or canceled
- If you need a lawyer while abroad
So, make sure you double-check the terms and conditions before purchasing the insurance. Suppose you can not find any terms and conditions or have already found them, and they are not completely understood. In that case, you can always call the companies customer care representatives and discuss the issue with them.
Comparing Travel Insurances
When you are comparing multiple travel insurance, make sure you are paying attention to the following:
- Lost items – You need to verify how much their policy allows you to claim for different items like missing money or baggage since you don’t want to find out when you submit a claim that the amounts are significantly less than you need.
- Medical bills – Your medical bills may pile up rapidly. So make sure that they can cover any unexpected medical expenses.
- Trip Cancelation – Make sure the cancellation fee is equal to or more than the amount you paid for your trip.
- The Excess – or the amount you need to pay if you file a claim. Before agreeing to a significant excess, consider how much you can genuinely afford to pay.
FAQs Regarding Travel Insurance
Q. Why Should I Purchase Travel Insurance? What Does My Travel Insurance Cover?
You should get travel insurance because it provides many benefits as we have mentioned before. It can cover many medical bills while you are outside your county. It can cover lost luggage and also trip cancellation fees.
- Medical Issues
If you get sick in a foreign country, you can always use your travel insurance to cover medical expenses. This is important coverage for travelers going abroad, where your U.S. health plan may provide limited coverage. Travel medical insurance covers ambulance services, doctor and hospital bills, and other medical expenses incurred while on vacation. You should know that many domestic insurance companies do not provide coverage abroad, such as Medicare. If you have Medicare, you should get one of the travel insurance plans to cover your medical bills. Almost all travel insurances cover different types of injuries and illnesses.
- Lost Luggage Or Delayed Luggage
Your insurance can cover the lost and damaged items using your travel insurance. You can get daily dollar amounts to purchase some of the essential things you need while still waiting for your luggage. Of course, that depends on the insurance plan that you will choose.
- Trip Cancelation
Trip interruption or cancellation, with any prepaid travel plan, generally comes with substantial penalties or may not be refunded. If your trip has already begun, trip interruption coverage will reimburse you for the unused portion of your trip and may cover expenses such as last-minute flights back home. This vacation interruption coverage allows you to cancel any trip for covered reasons and return home while also being reimbursed for your at-risk trip expenditures as well as some or all of your return home costs.
Q. What Is The Usual Coverage Through My Credit Card?
The coverage depends on the type of credit card you have. Many credit cards can provide you with great benefits, but many credit cards offer few benefits. You can research if your credit card can cover any medical issues, lost luggage, or trip cancellation since they are the most frequent unfortunates that can happen on your trip.
Highly reputable credit cards can usually cover travel accidents. But by travel accident, they mean death or dismemberment. So, you need to be careful when choosing your credit card. Also, they can cover trip cancellation expenses if you purchased the flight card using the same credit card.
Q. What Is Schengen Country?
The Schengen Area is a free-trade zone made up of 26 European countries, most of which are members of the European Union. They operate under a single visa regimen, and there are no border checks. The Schengen Countries are the following:
- Czech Republic
- The Netherlands
Q. Are There Any Requirements To Enter One Of The Schengen Countries?
One of the best things to do if you are traveling into one of the Schengen Countries is to contact the Schengen country’s embassy. They will provide you with all of the necessary information. Also, you need to submit your application at least 15 days before your scheduled journey. But for a start, you need to have the following paperwork:
- Valis Passport (needs to be valid for at least 3 or 6 months)
- Any supporting paperwork
- Proof of financial resources
- Travel Insurance that covers hospitalization and repatriation
Q. Can I Use Medicare Internationally?
The simple answer is no. Medicare has a policy that doesn’t cover any expenses outside your country. However, it can cover your overseas medical expenses but, you will end up paying expensive medical bills instead.
They can cover you in only three uncommon situations, such as a medical emergency in the USA if you live in the USA and the nearest hospital that can treat you is a foreign one if you are traveling from Alaska to all of the lower states and have a medical emergency.
So, if you are traveling outside the USA and you have Medicare, it would be best to get one of the travel insurances mentioned above to protect your trip and yourself in an emergency. You can determine your needs depending on your budget.
Q. What Affects The Travel Insurance Cost?
There are many factors that can affect the travel insurance cost, and according to some recent studies, the following things can affect the cost:
- Length and expense of the trip: The greater the policy cost, the longer and more expensive the journey.
- Local healthcare costs: expensive health care payments in your region might raise the cost of travel insurance. The cost of travel insurance coverage could increase if you currently have medical conditions and you are traveling outside your country.
- Your age: the older you are, the higher the price is.
Q. How To File A Claim?
First of all, please save all of your bills and documents from your flights or medical expenses, and so on. To get reimbursed by travel insurance coverage, you need to show the worth of the objects you have lost or represent your medical or any other type of bills to the insurer. You can easily file a claim using the online claim forms that each of the companies mentioned above provides.
Summing Up – How We Chose The Best Travel Insurance Companies?
One of the mind-opening pleasures of travel is its unpredictability. So if you want to stay safe while traveling and not spend extra fees on medical bills or any other thing, then you need to purchase one of the above-mentioned best travel insurances, especially provided by companies like TravelInsurance and RoamRight. We hope that we have resolved your issues about travel insurance and all of the benefits you can get if you purchase one.