Do you want to be more healthy and increase immunity? Would you make an effort in order to help your organism build better body composition, have better bodily functions, and achieve energy balance? Then you need to buy protein powder.
There is a common misconception that “Protein powders are just for bodybuilders.”
It is a fact that bodybuilders need protein to build muscle, but the body also needs protein in order to perform basic metabolic functions. Research has shown adults do not consume it in enough quantities, so just as bodybuilders, you also need protein, especially if you follow a vegan lifestyle.
So, if you are searching for the best plant-based protein powder available, then you are in the right place.
When it comes to the process of making it, proteins are isolated by removing fat and carbs, and grains, legumes, and seeds are the source of this kind of protein. More precisely, it is isolated from soy, rice, hemp, and peas, and lately, it is isolated from pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, Peruvian seeds, flax, and chia seeds. Plant-based protein is much healthier than animal protein, as it contributes to less LDL (bad) cholesterol in comparison.
Choosing the best plant-based protein powder depends on your lifestyle, dietary, and taste preference. We take your lifestyle seriously, so we chose diverse products with different tastes, or no taste at all, with Stevia or without, and with no synthetics or fillers.
Here Are the Best Plant-Based Protein Powder Brands:
- Naked Nutrition: Overall Best Plant-Based Protein Powder
- Aloha: Runner Up for Vegan Protein Powder
- Anthony’s Goods: Premium-Quality Powder Made from Pea Protein
- Care/of: Powder Infused with Essential Amino Acids
- Sunwarrior: High-Quality Organic Protein Powder
#1. Naked Nutrition: Overall Best Plant-Based Protein Powder
Enriched with just a few ingredients, we give you one brand that tends to keep it simple. They have started with just five-ingredient supplements, like Naked Whey and Naked Pea in 2014.
From then, they have grown in product range and now offer over 40 products, but still, most of them have three ingredients or less. What is worth mentioning is that their proteins are certified with random testing by Informed Choice.
The founder of Naked Nutrition is Stephen Zieminski, who was introduced to fitness by his father at an early age. His passion was running, which led him to attend the University of Florida, where he ran with the cross country and track teams.
After college, he moved to New York City and got a job at a bank. While he was working for an investment bank, he spotted the complexity that gripped the nutrition industry. He noticed many supplements have a number of ingredients, but the purpose of all of those additions was not always clear. So, with the goal of changing the way the supplement industry was heading, the idea for Naked Nutrition was born. He wanted effective ingredients and as little of them as possible. So in 2014, with five single ingredients, they released the first product.
They have special features on their website; you can use the following:
- Quiz, which allows you to find out which product is the best for you taking into consideration your diet, your goals, and your taste preference
- Protein calculator, with which you can see how much protein you need to take in accordance with your weight, activity level, and goals
- Chatbox to get help for whatever you need
- Blog, with recipes or information on diet or fitness-related
- Reward program, which means you can earn points by making an account, or purchasing a product, follow them on Instagram or sign in for their mailing list. If you get a certain amount of points, you can get a certain product for free
- Become an ambassador, and get even more rewards
- Join their affiliate program, and earn a set commission for every sale
Also, you can always sign up for their VIP packages, which have different benefits:
- It will provide you with 3 points per $1 spent
Silver- Spend $750 in a year
- You get 5 points per $1spent
- Free Shaker with first purchase
- Get early access to new products and also seasonal launches
Gold- Spend $1,500 in a year
- 8 points per $1spent
- $25 Gift Card
- Get early access to new products and also seasonal launches
- Be the first to know
Two Delivery Options
- Standard: Which will take 5-7 business days.
- Expedited: Which will take 2-3 business days.
- A convenient source of nutrients
- More micronutrients
- Fewer allergens
- Vegetarian and vegan friendly
- Ten different vegan products
- Free shipping for orders over $49
- Ship US and selected products in the UK and Canada
- The taste is not the best
On ReviewMeta.com they have an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars based on 7,547 reviews. Similarly, Amazon provides the company with an average rating of 4 out of 5 based on 8,113 reviews.
Most customers leave extremely positive feedback for Naked, compared with whey protein, it has been shown to have fewer side effects. Just several customers have complained about the mixing of this protein powder.
#2. Aloha: Runner Up for Vegan Protein Powder
ALOHA is a certified B-Corp, an employee-owned company. They offer two plant-based products so far: Chocolate and Vanilla based protein powder which are made in Georgia, and you can buy just for $30.
Moreover, the vanilla flavor contains ground vanilla beans, and the chocolate contains cocoa powder. It uses coconut sugar and monk fruit as alternatives to erythritol or Stevia. This means they are tasty protein powders compared to the all “natural flavors” of other powder products, which can be harsh on your stomach. Its protein comes from the following sources: brown rice, hemp seeds, pumpkin seed protein, and peas, and it has 18 g of clean protein per serving, and has approximately 15 servings per container.
What should be noted about this company is that they not just make profit, they donate part of the profit in order to help organizations like: Conscious Alliance, West Hawaii Community Health Center, Social Works, Soil Fire Farm.
Constantin Bisanz built a company in Germany called Brands4Friends and then sold it to eBay for $200 million. Right after that, he was set to start a new company, but something happened. He lacked meaning; it just didn’t feel right anymore, so he dropped everything and set off to India.
Spending four months in India, he meditated and did yoga, which profoundly affected his life. And he says he had an “ah-hah” moment. His life’s mission came into clear focus: to create something that’s meaningful and changes people’s lives, that is how Aloha was born.
They gave their best for their website to be accessible to all possible audiences, regardless of circumstance and ability.
Disability Profiles Supported on Their Website
- Epilepsy Safe Profile
It is safe for people with epilepsy as it eliminates the risk of seizures from flashing or blinking animations; also they avoid risky color combinations.
- Vision Impaired Profile
The website is accessible for visual impairments such as Degrading Eyesight, Tunnel Vision, Cataract, Glaucoma, and others.
- Cognitive Disability Profile:
It can be optimized for people with cognitive disabilities such as Autism, Dyslexia, CVA, and others.
- ADHD Friendly Profile
It has features that reduce distractions and noise for better focus on the essential elements more easily.
- Blind Users Profile
The blind user’s profile can be compatible with screen-readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. Simply put, a screen-reader is installed, and this site is compatible with it.
- Keyboard Navigation Profile
Motor-impaired persons with this feature are able to operate the website using the keyboard Tab, Shift+Tab, and the Enter keys. You are also able to use shortcuts like “M” (menus), “H” (headings), “F” (forms), “B” (buttons), and “G” (graphics) to jump to specific elements.
Additional adjustments can also be made, such as font adjustments, color adjustments, animations, content highlighting, audio muting, or adjustments for cognitive disorders. They utilize a search engine linked to Wikipedia and Wiktionary, allowing people with cognitive disorders to grasp the meanings of phrases.
- Top-notch ingredients
- USDA organic
- Certified vegan
- Certified Kosher by the Orthodox Union
- It’s also gluten, dairy, and soy-free, with no added sweeteners like Stevia
- Free shipping for any order over $40 and for all subscription orders
- Order received in just two business days
- They don’t ship to Alaska
Aloha encouraged customers to take a photo with aloha products on their adventures. You can check them out on their website, learn about their adventure and why they recommend Aloha products. Also, we checked their Amazon rating, and they have 4.1 out of 5 from 3,414 global ratings, and 4.3 rating from 300 reviews on Review.Meta.com.
#3. Anthony’s Goods: Premium-Quality Powder Made from Pea Protein
ACH Food Companies, Inc., manufacturer, bought Anthony’s Goods, and as they say don’t accept the “accepted wisdom”, better solutions appear when being innovative and when the status quo is challenged. They are ACH-ing to help the cook. Also after buying Antony’s Good they are ACH-ing for safety.
What is proof of the safety of their products is that they are Federal Drug Administration (FDA) approved, also from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) when applicable, and similar. Their pea protein powder contains eight grams of protein, and it is unflavoured, which makes it perfect for mixing with whatever fruit or food you like.
Anthony’s Goods is a company that was founded by Anthony Zanontian and Alex Avakian, who are two long-time friends. After Anthony was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, they decided to sell almond flour and other gluten-free ingredients. Anthony actually found that removing wheat from his diet made him feel better, but it was hard for him to find subsidiary products, and that is why they formed the company.
Just like Aloha, also the webpage of Antony’s goods offers features for people with disabilities. You can make the text more readable, adjust it for higher concentration or choose an option for people with dyslexia. You can play with tools like align it left, right, change font size, and similar.
- Also, they have a satisfying amount of recipes for food that is healthy for you. Moreover, you can learn more about organic food and how it increases consumption, the benefits of ginger powder, and similar.
- If you are shopping for someone else and are unsure what to get them, then choose to give them the gift of choice with an Anthony’s Goods gift card. They have no additional processing fees.
- Gluten-free and certified organic
- Unsweetened and Unflavored with no artificial additives
- 7-10 days for you to receive your package
- Shipping is always free!
- Available just in the US
- No certified kosher products
On Amazon, they have 4.5 of 5 from 41,752 Ratings and 4.2 out of 5 from 6,223 Reviews on Meta. We concluded from the reviews that many satisfied customers were happy to rebuy it, maybe it is unflavored, but that is why it is excellent to mix it with ingredients like fruit, nut butter, or cocoa in smoothies.
#4. Care/of: Powder Infused with Essential Amino Acids
Craig Elbert established Care/of in 2016 in New York. They have a scientific advisory board that is composed of leading doctors, scientists, and nutrition experts. They work closely with them on product development. Their two kinds of protein powder are vanilla or chocolate flavored. The protein type is enriched with organic pea, pumpkin seed, and organic hemp protein powder when it comes to the protein type. When it comes to doge, the protein amount is 18 g per serving.
They take testing seriously, and all of our products are tested three times throughout their supply chain.
What is interesting about this brand is that they wanted to Get it Right, so they launched a fake company first.
They did that with the purpose to learn about how customers would react to the product, and they wanted to test out their website, with the help of friends, family, and acquaintances first. So they chose a fake name for the company, “Beets Vitamins”, a company that produces vitamins, and the test began. Surly Beets Vitamins did not sell vitamins, but Care/of would. The friends and family who tested Beets were aware they couldn’t make purchases, but interacting with the webpage was a great help in tasting customers’ behavior.
They found, for example, that users were willing to put time into the quiz and that they’d also take the time to read studies of products’ efficacy.
- Quiz, with which they do detailed research about you, divides the questions into five categories and tells you what supplements/vitamins you should take to be super healthy.
- Handy app, which will allow you to stick more with the protein plan and track your vitamin routine, earn rewards for being consistent, and also manage your subscription. You can use it on iOS and Android
- Research library, in which they explain the function and effect of every ingredient/vitamin, which is for informational purposes only
- This plant protein doesn’t use filler or artificial sweeteners
- Vegan, gluten, and dairy-free
- You can contact them by phone
- 50% free on your first order
- Free shipping on orders over $30
- International orders incur a $6 handling fee
Care/of have an average customer rating of 4.8 stars out of a possible five on Trustpilot. Around 78% of their reviews award the company the full five stars. Positive reviews mention customer support, but also there are negative reviews that discuss problems with incorrect orders and shipping.
#5. Sunwarrior: High-Quality Organic Protein Powder
Founded in 2008, Sunwarrior is not just a superfood company that has plant-based protein powder; it is a plant-based protein company with a mission to provide the best plant based protein powders and also supplements. They strive to guide individuals on their path to self-actualization and transform the planet one individual at a time.
Their sources of plant-based proteins provide BCAAs (branch chain amino acids) that are essential for muscle growth and energy. The protein types they use are pea, organic hemp seed, and organic goji berry proteins. Moreover, they have 24 g of protein per serving, and it comes in five different flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Mocha, Berry, and Unflavored. They offer the most diverse tastes compared to other brands mentioned here.
This company was born from the struggle of the co-founder Denley Fowlke to find a solution to the problems he and his family were facing. So what’s his story? From a young age, he was working on the parents’ fruit stand, but in his teens developed asthma and other lung issues that made him think about the diet he consumes.
Later, when his daughters’ developed life-threatening illness, he and his family became vegetarian, but his pursuit for a healthy life didn’t stop there. After many books, also his experience, and other guides, he became vegan. Just after that he met with Nick, at a Raw Food Festival in Sedona, Arizona, and there Nick identified a need for clean-burning, vegan protein powder for vegetarians and vegans, especially those who wanted to gain or maintain muscle. After multiple tests and persistence, Sunwarrior created its first raw, plant-based protein powder with a mission to Nourish & Transform The Planet.
They have the following special features:
- Refer a friend and give your friend 25% off on his first purchase and get $5 in points when they spend over $40
- Smoothie E-Book – 52 Superfood Smoothie Recipes. They also have vegan food recipes on their website and a forum to inform yourself about fitness, mental health, gut health, parenting, and stress management.
- Vegan Vigilante – They offer videos that are an excellent addition on their website if you are vegan or just want to eat healthier food.
- Become a retailer – If you are from the US, you can fill their simple form and be part of their mission, if you are not from the US, contact Sunwarrior International or some of the retailers that are near you.
- Join their Sunwarrior Affiliate program and earn a commission for every purchase your clients make.
- Become Demo Rep, and grasp the opportunity to visit multiple retailers and educate customers and store personnel about the benefits of Sunwarrior products.
- If you choose to be a Sunwarrior insider, you will be the first to try out their products and be informed about special offers. You’ll simply have an influential voice.
- Keto and paleo-friendly
- Organic & non-GMO ingredients
- 100% vegan
- No added sugar
- It is entirely vegan and comes in a recyclable container
- Free shipping on order over $50
- It doesn’t really taste that great
They have 3.9 out of 5 on amazon from 1,050 global ratings. When it comes to the reviews, they are diverse. Some customers chose this brand as it has Stevia, rather than another sweetener, but also there are the ones that don’t like the Stevia supplement. Some state that it is on the higher end of price, and it doesn’t mix too well.
However, most of the customers are happy with the products, and as they say, it is easy on the stomach.
From muscle mass and strengthening your bones to lowering blood pressure and improving sleep, protein plays a role in just about every bodily function. You know that “protein builds muscle,” but what does it really mean? The body breaks down protein into its amino acids, and then those amino acids are synthesized into muscle.
Actually 80% of muscle is made up of amino acids. Plus, amino acids are responsible for a variety of bodily processes, including neurological processes and muscle synthesis. Moreover, it is important for growth and development in children, teens, and pregnant women.
20 different amino acids make up each molecule of protein, and they can be: Non-Essential Amino Acids (produced naturally) and Essential Amino Acids ( that need to be consumed through food)
Why Should You Take Protein Powder?
Usually, there is this opinion that proteins help in muscle gain, weight loss, and injury recovery. But it has a much bigger value for your organism. Some of the multiple reasons in count:
- Build. with the meaning of building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, and skin
- Repair. Your body needs it to build and repair tissue.
- Oxygenate. The protein that is contained in the Red blood cells carries oxygen throughout the body.
- Digest. You need it to better digest food
- Regulate. A critical function of proteins is their role as enzymes, which are needed to catalyze almost all biological reactions. It regulates not only the amounts but also the activities of its protein constituents.
While you can take proteins from different diets, protein shakes, and powders have become popular because you can measure precisely how much protein you consume and how much more you should take, which is not possible with any diet.
Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of Protein
It is advised to take 1 gram per kilogram( 1kg = 2.2 lbs for Americans), if you want to put on muscle on the other hand you should take 2-3 grams per kilogram. How many tablespoons should you take? That depends on the product, but usually, 25 g is one scoop, which is four tablespoons.
So, for example, if you are 80 kg, then you should take 80 g of protein which is approximately three scoops of the product per day.
When Should You Take It?
You can choose to take a large portion or several small portions of protein at different times of the day. That depends on your health goals.
For muscle building, you should consume protein powder within 2 hours after exercising. Consuming different amounts of protein throughout the day may help prevent muscle loss in older adults. And also, some research suggests if you take protein powder before you go to sleep, it can help recover your muscle overnight.
If you increase the dosage of proteins, more than 1g per kg, you may witness:
- Ammonia in the blood
- Reduced appetite
- Tiredness and
Frequently Asked Questions: Plant-Based Protein Powder
Q1. What types of protein are there?
There are two main categories of protein:
- Animals’ (Whey, Casein, Egg, Beef, Chicken, etc.)
- Plant-based (Soy, Pea, Brown Rice Protein, Chickpea, etc.)
The main difference between them is that animal proteins are complete proteins ( they have all 9 of the essential amino acids), and plant proteins are incomplete proteins (they are missing at least one essential amino acid). However, eating multiple plant proteins can create an effect of complete proteins..
Q2. Can plant-based protein powder go bad?
Yes, protein powder can expire pea, hemp, whey, you name it. All forms of protein powder have an end of shelf life. You should know that whey protein powder goes bad more quickly than best vegan protein powders. But usually, it doesn’t mean that it is unusable after the expiration date; they usually put it as two years from manufacturing, and under certain conditions, it can be used longer.
Q3. Do your products need to be refrigerated?
None of these products require refrigeration, but keeping it in a cool, dry place and out of direct sunlight is recommended.
Q4. Is it ok to drink protein powder without working out?
Consuming protein powder with or without exercise training can contribute to weight loss and better body composition. Manufacturers of protein shakes claim that they can decrease body fat, but as they say their products aren’t a magic bullet for weight loss. However, replacing meals with protein shakes can help you lose weight.
Q5. When should you take protein powder if you want to lose weight?
If you are aiming for fat loss, the best time would be before working out, and furthermore, that will be presumably mid-morning or afternoon. What it essentially is suppressing your appetite and supplying enough nutrition to the body to keep the fat burning for a longer time, serving your weight loss mission.
Q6. Should I drink protein shakes every day?
Research shows that it doesn’t matter when you take the protein powder; make sure you’re getting enough in one day, be it before or be it after a workout, the total daily protein intake is what matters. Just to note that protein shakes around workouts are the most helpful for muscle mass.
Q7. Are plant protein powders safe for pregnant women?
Consult your healthcare professional when pregnant or nursing. If you are pregnant, you should consume about 6 grams more protein than you normally would. Maybe you won’t choose to take protein powder, but in that case you should choose to eat more food that has proteins in it.
Suppose you decide to go for protein powder. We strongly advise you to avoid plant protein powder with additional vitamins or minerals, especially if you are on a prenatal vitamin supplement, added sugar, or artificial sweeteners.
Q8. Why is plant-based protein powder better?
Plant-based proteins have essential vitamins and nutrients which are easier to digest. Moreover, they are environmentally friendly. Plant sources of protein contain no cholesterol, they are lactose-free, and are vegan-friendly.
In conclusion, protein is important for the body in many ways. From weight loss, energy levels to muscle building also they act like enzymes, help blood flow, and are the building blocks of bones, muscles, cartilage and skin.
If you are not sure which product is for you, you can visit the Naked Nutrition website or the Care/of and find out which product is the best for you. Also, you can check how much protein you should take with the Nacked Nutrition website and their calculator. Maybe you have a certain disability then choose Aloha or Antoniy’s goods website.
Moreover, Antony’s goods are the safest. But if you just need better recipes for really tasty vegan food watch the videos of Vegan Vigilante on the Sunwarrior webpage and make your kitchen a place of wonder.
Whoever you choose of the above-mentioned brand will give you the best plant-based protein powder, which will make you more energized and healthy. Don’t hesitate and order right away, you won’t regret it!