The Long Island Pet Expo returns for the 9th year at Suffolk Community College in Brentwood on Saturday, March 3 and Sunday, March 4, with new animal attractions and acts.
Long Island’s own Family Pet Shows hosts the expo and it has something for animal lovers at every age. Kids and adults alike will love this show that includes incredible pet acts and many educational animal and wildlife exhibits.
The show is also pet friendly — pet owners can bring their leashed and well-behaved pets with them to also enjoy the show. Pet parents can shop throughout the expo at over 100 vendor booths, meet adoptable pets, learn from veterinarians and groomers, and see many new pet products to the market.
“We are always excited to be home to host the L.I. Pet Expo and it is wonderful to bring our show again to Suffolk Community College in Brentwood for the 9th year,” said show organizer Karen Garetano of Family Pet Shows. “This year we have a new feature, Lure Coursing, and dogs love to fly around the course — and it is big hit for spectators. Pet parents can try the course with their own dog! We expect over 12,000 people and many pets to enjoy the weekend event — and we are excited to once again bring new entertainment, educational exhibits, exotic pets, local animal rescue groups and tons of shopping of new pet items for pet parents to learn about.”
Attendees can expect to be wowed with dancing, acrobatic dogs and dogs flying through the new lure course, rabbit hopping, dog agility, exotic animals, the rainforest reptile show, petting zoo, meet parrots of a kinds and more.
In addition to the lure course for dogs, other new pet entertaining acts and features at this year’s show include:
- Rabbit Hopping: It’s not the bunny hop you’re thinking of — but talented rabbits who love to jump. Allikatt’s Bunnies will present an agility demo of rabbits hopping and guinea pig agility all weekend — and there is a seminar so you can learn how to get involved in this sport with your own hare.
- TICA Championship Cat Show: For cat lovers who have never been to a cat show, this is a purrific way to see all different breeds of cats up close. TICA cat show returns for the third year to the expo on Saturday and Sunday only.
- Dancing Dogs: Forget about “Dancing with the Stars.” It’s Dancing With Your Dogs. Diana Frohman and her golden retrievers will be dancing the weekend away with their Dancing with your Dog performances at the Pet Expo. It is a wonderful display of communication and relationship between dog and handler, set to music.
- Rainforest Reptile Show: For all the kids out there who are interested in reptiles, this is an exciting, fascinating adventure through the rare and endangered reptile world. Many exotic reptiles will be at the show, including alligators, snakes, lizards, turtles and more. Reptile and wildlife experts will be talking about all kinds of our scaly reptilian friends.
- Butterfly Experience: Step into the magical world of butterflies and learn about their life cycle, see them flutter around, and have a go at feeding them. Partnering with the U.S. Wildlife on Conservation of Butterflies, informational materials will be provided. There is a $2 fee for adults and $1 per child to enter the Butterfly Garden, which includes about 200 live butterflies, painted ladies, and monarchs that families can feed.
- Schutzhund Demonstration: Maximum K9 Service will be doing a Schutzhund demonstration, which will include obedience, dumbbell retrieval, tracking, protection work and a detection demonstration.
- Dog Agility: Interested in learning about agility with your dog? Doggie U K9 Academy will be doing dog agility demos all weekend in the main show ring.
- Long Island Parrot Society – if you are a feathered friend enthusiast, you want to be sure to see the LIPS attraction at the show! Learn about parrots of a kinds, how to care for them and their experts will help you decide what bird would suit your home best as a pet.
- Adoptable Pets: Many Long Island rescue groups will be there with adoptable pets. This is the perfect time to find a furry new friend to add to your family. Nearly 100 pets get adopted at the show every year.
Ticket prices are $13 for adults, $6 for children 12 and under and free for kids 3 and under.
Adult attendees can purchase a weekend pass for only $20 online ahead of the show ($9 for a weekend pass for kids 12 and under). For more information about the Long Island Pet Expo go to www.familypetshows.com or call 631-423-0620.