Several people were evacuated from a medical building on East Shore Road in Great Neck late Friday afternoon, fire officials said, with four people being sent to North Shore University Hospital.
Great Neck Alert Fire Company Chief Steve Schwartz said they were responding to a phone call of some people “feeling a little bit sick” at 310 East Shore Road, which is home to a number of medical offices, as well as a “strange odor.”
“…They had 200 people evacuated out of the building, 52 people were checked through EMS,” Schwartz said. “We had four people that wanted to go to the hospital to be checked; nothing was found.”
Vigilant Fire Chief Joshua Charry said that they were responding to a carbon monoxide alarm going off at 310 East Shore Road. Ultimately, of the 52 they medically evaluated, Charry said four were sent to North Shore University Hospital for treatment for dizziness and headaches.
Great Neck Alert Fire Company and a hazmat team with the Nassau County fire marshal’s office inspected the building for carbon monoxide and other gases, Schwartz and Charry said.
“Nothing was found inside or outside,” Schwartz said.
On scene were Vigilant Fire Company, Alert Fire Company, Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department, and Port Washington Fire Department, Schwartz said.
Nassau County also sent a variety of responders, including police, the emergency ambulance bureau, the fire marshal’s hazmat team, and a mobile hospital.