A house fire broke out next to 24 Hillside Ave. in the Village of Great Neck Estates late Saturday afternoon, prompting a quick response from multiple fire departments.
Local police informed the Great Neck Vigilant Fire Company of the fire at 4:01 p.m. From there, Fire Chief Joshua Forst had a dispatcher notify Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department for a firefighter team and Great Neck Alert Fire Company for two engines and a ladder.
Great Neck Vigilant Fire Company Chief Joshua Forst described it as a “medium-sized” house fire between the driveway and right side of the house. Newer vinyl siding made the fire look more explosive, he said, but the old siding underneath helped contain it.
Forst also said there was more fire on the second floor. The total water, smoke and fire damage was a “couple hundred thousand” dollars, Forst said.
But the family was in Manhattan at the time, he said, and no one else was inside.
According to the Nassau County Fire Marshal’s office, the fire started in an electrical box outside the house.
House fire earlier. Thank you Alerts, @mlvfd @PortFireNY, other standby units & GNE/K PD for ur assistance. Thankfully no one was injured. pic.twitter.com/eY3jvLo7ye
— GNVFD (@GNVFDChief) June 10, 2017
Forst himself arrived at the scene at 4:05 p.m and alerted Port Washington, Plandome and Manhasset-Lakeville to be on stand by to answer other calls.
Vigilant Fire Company responded with one engine, one ladder, one rescue truck, two ambulances, one paramedic vehicle and three chief’s cars. Forst said 26 of their volunteers were at the scene.
Alert Fire Company also contributed two fire engines and a ladder. One member of the Alert Fire Company was evaluated for exhaustion, but refused treatment and transport.
The Manhasset-Lakeville ambulance contributed an assist and search team and handled one EMS alarm at the nearby Long Island Rail Road station during the fire.
Great Neck Estates and Kensington Police, meanwhile, directed traffic.
Ultimately, the main fire was “knocked down” within 20 minutes and the fire was under control within 40 minutes, the fire company said.
Forst said this speaks volumes about the community’s various first responders.
“It just goes to show we’re the best bargain around,” Forst said.