New Hyde Park’s first win of the season came during its annual homecoming celebration Saturday, topping Bellmore-JFK 38-10.
Gladiators quarterback Mark Chambers went 9-of-15 passing for 71 yards and a touchdown, and opened scoring with the first of his two rushing touchdowns of the day following an eight-play, 60-yard drive.
Joe Gardella led New Hyde Park with 126 rushing yards on 13 carries and a touchdown. Zach Vales also found the end zone on the ground.
New Hyde Park’s first two scores were set up following Dylan Stansbury interceptions of Bellmore-JFK, which was held to a field goal in the opening half.
Chambers’ touchdown pass was to wideout Jake Villacis, who had two catches for 41 yards and a score.
The Gladiators led 21-3 at halftime and added another 17 points in the second half.
Around the North Shore:
• Herricks 27, Valley Stream Central 18: The Highlanders (1-2) scored 20 points in the fourth quarter and took the lead with about eight minutes remaining on a 68-yard Mike Saleme touchdown reception, one of his 11 catches for 171 yards.
• Mineola 41, Great Neck South 6: Mustangs rusher Matt Kosowski had four first-half touchdowns and 161 yards on 12 carries on the day. Mineola (2-1) led South (0-3) 34-6 at halftime.
• Jericho 30, Manhasset 28: The Indians’ Ryan Damico returned a kickoff for a touchdown late in the fourth to bring Manhasset (0-3) to within two points, but Jericho’s Patrick Jung picked off a pass with 11 seconds left deep in Jayhawks (1-2) territory to seal the win.
• Garden City 41, Sewanhaka 31: An Alexander Cherry fumble return for a touchdown brought the Indians (1-2) to within two possessions, but the Trojans (3-0) ran out the clock on Sewanhaka’s comeback. Garden City quarterback Tim Schmelzinger passed for 10-of-17 for 118 yards and two touchdowns, and added a score and 73 yards on 14 carries.
• Monsignor Farrell 31, Chaminade 14: Flyers (0-3) quarterback Nick Crennan went 7-for-19 for 103 yards and seven rushing yards on 11 carries. Farrell (3-0) scored two straight touchdowns to open the game and led 17-7 at the half.
• Oyster Bay 21, Great Neck North 14: The Baymen’s Dylan Toney scored two touchdowns in the final nine minutes to overcome a late 14-7 deficit. The Blazers are 0-3.
• Hempstead 56, Port Washington 6: Hempstead’s Dashawn Meadors rushed for 101 yards and a touchdown, had 21 receiving yards and a touchdown and led the team with seven tackles and had a sack. Tigers quarterback Saybien Barrons went 7-of-10 for 102 yards and two passing touchdowns and had two rushing touchdowns and 60 yards on the ground.
• Locust Valley 54, Roslyn 6: The Bulldogs (2-1) trailed 47-0 at halftime as Locust Valley’s John Pedranghelu rushed for 146 yards on four carries and three touchdowns to cap the Falcons’ homecoming win. Colin McBride, Kyle Elrod, Reed Rudowsky and Tom Talenti also contributed rushing touchdowns for Locust Valley.