Two NHP firemen injured in kitchen fire

0
Two NHP firemen injured in kitchen fire

An early morning kitchen fire in a Lakeville Road house in New Hyde Park last Friday resulted in two firefighters being sent to the hospital with heat exhaustion.

“It was a kitchen fire on the second floor,” said Michael Uttaro, division supervisor of the Office of the Fire Marshal. “The New Hyde Park Fire Department did a great job and contained it.”

Uttaro said two New Hyde Park firefighters suffering from heat exhaustion were taken to a local hospital and were treated and released.

He said the call about the fire in the house at 612 Lakeville Road was received at 7:20 a.m. by the New Hyde Park Fire Department, which he said immediately responded.

Uttaro said the cause of the fire was listed as “accidental fire involving cooking.”

He said damage in the house was limited to the kitchen,  the attic and an adjacent bathroom.

“It could have been worse but the New Hyde Park Fire Department made quick work of it,” Uttaro said.

Steve Waldron, New Hyde Park Fire Department Chief, said the firefighters brought the fire under control within 90 minutes of arriving on the scene.

Waldron said units from the Garden City, Floral Park and Stewart Manor fire departments assisted the New Hyde Park volunteers at the scene.

No posts to display