Port Washington ended its homecoming festivities Saturday on a winning note, topping Valley Stream Central 13-12 to earn its first victory of the season.
Quarterback Jacob Kaypour had a 7-yard touchdown run in the second quarter on a double reverse off a third-and-long play, and threw a 30-yard strike to receiver Ari Schachter as Port (1-1) took a 13-6 lead into halftime.
Kaypour finished 9-of-13 for 84 yards and two total touchdowns, while Schachter caught two passes for 43 yards.
Central (0-2) posted six points in the fourth quarter, but Port Washington’s Jose Ramirez picked off a pass with 40 seconds remaining to end the game.
Jajuan Curtis, who helped set up Kaypour’s touchdown run in the second quarter, had nine carries for 50 yards for the Vikings.
Port wide receiver Hayden Braider also caught five passes for 32 yards.
Around the North Shore:
• Roslyn 25, Great Neck North 21: Bulldogs quarterback Adam Combs connected with wideout Jackson Crush in the back of the end zone on a broken play as time expired to lead Roslyn (2-0). Combs finished 18-of-32 for 306 yards, with three touchdowns and an interception, while receiver Aaron Winston had nine catches for 202 yards and a score.
• Oceanside 40, Herricks 8: Brandy Diaz had 110 rushing yards and two touchdowns on two carries, to lead the Sailors (2-0), who jumped out to a 23-0 lead in the first quarter. Quarterback Vinny Guarino also completed 5-of-8 passes for 80 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
• Wantagh 35, New Hyde Park 0: The Warriors (2-0) fashioned a 28-0 halftime lead off a pair of touchdowns apiece from quarterback Robert Tucker (10-of-13, 172 yards) and running back Kyle Sliwak (8 carries, 60 yards).
• West Hemptead 28, Mineola 6: The Mustangs’ (1-1) lone points came in the second quarter, as West Hempstead (1-1) scored a touchdown in each quarter.
• Elmont 34, Sewanhaka 6: The Indians’ (1-1) lone score came on a 55-yard run by Shaheim Taylor-White on the first play of the second half.
• Friends Academy 43, Great Neck South 0: South’s (0-2) Ray White rushed 10 times for 34 yards, while Alex Bruni picked up 22 yards on three carries. Friends quarterback Corey Goldglit went 8-of-14 with 150 yards and four touchdowns.
• Mepham 28, Manhasset 15: The Indians fell to 0-2 as Pirates safety Greg Laupheimer had nine tackles (three for loss), two interceptions — including one returned for a touchdown — and a sack.
• St. Peter’s 22, Chaminade 21: The Flyers (0-2) had a punt blocked late in the fourth quarter and allowed a 15-yard touchdown run and ensuing two point conversion by St. Peters’ Bobby Wing that decided the game.