Apartment fire in Great Neck leaves three hospitalized

0
Apartment fire in Great Neck leaves three hospitalized
Manhasset-Lakeville Company No. 2 Firehouse, located on Community Drive East, Manhasset. (Photo by Brandon Duffy)

An apartment fire in Great Neck on Thursday sent three people to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns, according to the Nassau County fire marshal’s office. 

Nine people were treated at the scene for minor injuries, officials said.

Shortly before 10 p.m., heavy fire was found at the back of the building at 15 Clent Road and firefighters responded, officials said, including Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department Companies 1 to 5 and the ambulance unit as well as fire companies from Albertson, New Hyde Park and Great Neck.

The fire was determined to be accidental.

“The fire was extinguished in under an hour, and it took some time before people could return to their homes to deem everything safe,” Assistant Chief Fire Marshal James F. Hickman said.

Residents in five units of the building were displaced due to smoke and water damage, he said.

On the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department’s Facebook page, a GoFundMe fundraising appeal  has been posted for Brian Levings and his wife, Jill, which says the two lost their personal belongings in the fire.

Levings is a former department president and captain of Company 4 and has served in the  department for over 50 years, the post said.

Efforts to reach the building owner were unavailing.

No posts to display