South High artists win Scholastic awards
Sixteen student artists at South High School have been recognized for their talent, skill, and creativity through the 2021 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, sponsored by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers.
Student submissions for this awards competition are blindly adjudicated based on originality, technical skill, and the emergence of the artist’s personal voice or vision. All entries are considered for Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention awards. The following South High students received awards in the regional competition, which encompasses the entire northeast region of the United States.
Gold Key Award recipients are: Jonathan Guo, Sheryl Huang, Fengyi Lu, Rick Xu, and Nancy Zhou.
Silver Key Award recipients are: Jonathan Guo, Ryan Kim, Anabelle Lau (3 Silver Key awards), Nina Wang, Rick Xu, and Nancy Zhou.
Honorable Mention recipients are: Irene Hsu (2 Honorable Mention awards), Sheryl Huang, Jenny Jung, Joanne Jung, Anabelle Lau (4 awards), Jessica Lin, Eileen Mou (2 awards), Angel Regy, Grace Song (3 awards), Nina Wang (3 awards), Shiqi Xiao, and Rick Xu.
Their art teachers are Megan Cashman, Safia Fatimi, and Lisa Stancati. The South High Art Department Head is Karen Cuchel.
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, founded in 1923, is the nation’s longest running and most prestigious recognition program for creative teens. The mission of this awards program is to identify students with exceptional artistic and literary talent and present their remarkable work to the world through this competition.
North High Choir named finalist in regional competition
The North High School Choir is a finalist for the Harmony Helper Mosaic Award for Group Performance Excellence, part of the Roger Rees Awards sponsored by the Broadway Education Alliance.
The North High Choir entered the competition with a virtual performance of “The Forest,” the opening number from the musical Octet by Dave Malloy. Fifteen students were involved in the a cappella performance, with each student recording his or her part individually and then bringing the performance together through editing. Their vocal music teacher is Dr. Pamela Levy, performing and fine arts department chair at North High.
The Harmony Helper Mosaic Award is a new award that recognizes the artistry and creativity of diverse and gifted choral ensembles from high schools in the Greater New York area. Award winners will be announced later this month.
June 2021 events
Wednesday, June 2
- Board of Education Public Action Meeting at 7:30 p.m., preceded by UPTC Reports at 6:45 p.m. Info: www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/meetings or 441-4001.
Wednesday, June 9
- Adult Learning Center Awards Ceremony, 12 noon, 105 Clover Drive. (Rain date: Thursday, June 10.) Info: 441-4950.
Wednesday, June 16
- Board of Education Year-End Recognitions and Public Action Meeting, 7:30 p.m. Info: www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/meetings or 441-4001.
Tuesday, June 29
- Adult Learning Center Summer Program Begins. Register/Info: www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/alc or 441-4950.
July 2021 events
Thursday, July 1
- Board of Education Organizational Meeting and Public Action Meeting, 8 p.m. Info: www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/meetings or 441-4001.
- Summer School Programs Begin. Info: www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/summer or 441-4575.
Tuesday, July 6
- Summer Recreation and Enrichment Programs Begin. Info: www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/rec or 441-4045.
- Community Education Summer Semester Begins. Register/Info: www.greatneck.k12.ny.us/ce or 441-4949.